Archive for urbanglasgow.co.uk For information past, present & future on the city of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
 


       urbanglasgow.co.uk Forum Index -> Glasgow Development & Demolition
Hawick_1987

110 Queen Street

Apologies Mods but I couldn't source the original thread, so I have created this one for now.

110 Queen Street is being demolished to make way for a £70m office block. Number 110 in its current guise was built as an office block in 1964.

More information here: http://www.clydewaterfront.com/pr...ommercial/d389---110-queen-street

Demolition is well underway (11/03/2013)






BTJustice

Am I right in thinking the 1964 building was put up on a ww2 bomb site?
Vinny the Mackem

Yeah, I think the buildings on the north and south corners of Ingram Street/Queen Street were destroyed.

This is the corner being developed just now. [What??! No traffic cone? )

Not sure where the original came from, so apologies for any copyright issues!

Hawick_1987

Cracking find Vinny, and I did not know about the WWII bomb BT - nice bit of information there.  
streapadair

Vinny, I think it was just the south corner that was hit. The 110 building was still there in the 1970s.
Vinny the Mackem

Fairy nuff.  I was sure I'd read it somewhere, but probably mixed myself up, put two and two together with the south corner building being a "new" build too!  
Alex Glass

Out and about in the cold today and got a few photos of this site.











Hawick_1987

Progress  
Marti

25/3/2013...


fastnet

Taken from the bus yesterday.


Ingram st. demolition by john.mcknight, on Flickr
benjib

Timelapse

I've been photographing the progress of the work at 110 Queen St using a new app I've been working on called Overlapse.

Here's a link to the Queen St development so far...

http://overlap.se/photoset/benjib/59/

The app uses your own pictures as a guide to help you line up each shot you take allowing you to build up a timelapse of something changing over time.

If you have an Android phone you can download the app free and give it a whirl. There's plenty of demolition work going on in Glasgow, was wondering if anyone fancied trying it out some other project around town?
Alex Glass

Couple of photos from a couple of weeks ago

119

110
Alex Glass

Re: Timelapse

benjib wrote:
I've been photographing the progress of the work at 110 Queen St using a new app I've been working on called Overlapse.

Here's a link to the Queen St development so far...

http://overlap.se/photoset/benjib/59/

The app uses your own pictures as a guide to help you line up each shot you take allowing you to build up a timelapse of something changing over time.

If you have an Android phone you can download the app free and give it a whirl. There's plenty of demolition work going on in Glasgow, was wondering if anyone fancied trying it out some other project around town?


Well done Benjib
Alex Glass









cybers

I noticed this today as it was the first time in a long time i have had to go round this way. They sure as heck are not leaving that a gap site ... Demolition equipment off site construction equipment on site... Let the building commence.

Though would still like to see 100+ floors building built in Glasgow with a viewing platform at the top... Put us right on the map... Real life street view
norrie

I spoke to one of the demolition men when the job was starting and he said that the builders were waiting on them, so they could start building, he was right
mani

The rebuilding has started probably another office block to sit empty
Hawick_1987

Cole

the artists impression of how it will look when finished

from here
http://www.clydewaterfront.com/pr...ommercial/d389---110-queen-street
Gina

Good to see that Chooky and his horse are wearing the appropriate safety headgear!
norrie

Hi Cole, well that looks better than what they demolished
Fat Cat

Cole wrote:
the artists impression of how it will look when finished

from here
http://www.clydewaterfront.com/pr...ommercial/d389---110-queen-street


Yuk.
colmar

Why oh why do they insist on doing this to our great city?

Is it impossible to design and create a new building in a style which complements, even to some extent, the surrounding architecture? Or is it the case the 21st century architects can only think in bendy glass and chrome?

It just looks so out of place, IMHO.
norrie

Hi Colmar, cant disagree with what you say but to erect a new building in the Victorian style , in my opinion would be too costly and time consuming
Alex Glass

I had the pleasure of being on the Planning Committee when this building got Planning permission.

I can't wait to see it finished  
cybers

I think the facade is great compared to what was there before. Short term memories seem to be the order fo the day when the brutalist architecture has not long been ripped from its mooring people have obviously quickly forget how ugly it actually was.
norrie

I have to agree that the new building looks much better than the concrete one that has been demolished
Alex Glass

I remember haing a discussion with the Planning Officers when i was getting the briefing about this building.

Like you say Cybers this is much preferable to the eyesore that use to be there and on that basis that was how the discussion went.

I don't mind admitting that when I was on the Planning Committee I was party to lots and lots of decision that many people won't agree with but I stand by my decisions and will happily discuss them with anyone interested. Many of the buidings are now a firm fixture of Glasgow a few were never taken beyond the planning stage.

For me it is about progress. I grew up in a rat infested tenement in Cowcaddens where the two sources of heat were the fire in the livingroom and the rang in the kitchen. Times change its a fact of life.
norrie

Hi Alex, the planners cant get it right all the time, while some of the new buildings may not be liked, they bring a bit of modernity to the mix of Victorian buildings
I cant think of any new buildings that I dont like but one concrete one, The Savoy Centre, does not appeal to me
The New Art College is better than what was there, in my opinion
erasedculture

Re: 110 Queen Street

Hawick_1987 wrote:
Apologies Mods but I couldn't source the original thread, so I have created this one for now.

110 Queen Street is being demolished to make way for a £70m office block. Number 110 in its current guise was built as an office block in 1964.

More information here: http://www.clydewaterfront.com/pr...ommercial/d389---110-queen-street

Demolition is well underway (11/03/2013)




@Hawick_1987

Hi Mate.
I’m making a short, non commercial, YT video and 110 Queen Street is mentioned in the video. Could I possibly use your photo of the 1964, concrete office block in the video, please?
(You will be credited in any way you desire)

The video isn’t about Glasgow (every erasedculture “Wandering” video mentions Glasgow though) but 110 Queen Street crops up. Your picture would be preceded by this section of the script and a section from the KoG (which he hasn’t sent me yet):

“The King of Glasgow is experiencing similar architectural misgivings about 110 Queen Street, a new structure on the corner of Ingram Street and Queen Street, Glasgow, opposite the Gallery of Modern Art.”

(KoG’s script)

and directly after the KoG’s piece of the script will read:

“The previous structure at 110 Queen street was in the brutalist style and reminded me of the beautiful Camden Town Hall annexe on Euston Road London, but more angular.”

The video will be in the style of “Glasgow Wandering” :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s...LKhNB9xtxUCDwBgqgo8MrrOnjfSSXYPqe

Many thanks.

Moderator Edit

Email address removed, please use the private message system on the forum for your own security

joao40

colmar wrote:
Why oh why do they insist on doing this to our great city?

Is it impossible to design and create a new building in a style which complements, even to some extent, the surrounding architecture? Or is it the case the 21st century architects can only think in bendy glass and chrome?

It just looks so out of place, IMHO.


I fully agree that modern architects have very little imagination, far too much bendy glass and chrome.

After Hitler had Warsaw completely flattened during WW2 the Polish rebuilt the city almost exactly as it was before. Why can we not do the same and built asthetically beautiful buildings and not have them thrown up for the cheapest possible price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c02jnXrfPzw

With the number of Polish builders in the UK now, maybe they have the skills to enable us to start constructing stone buildings that are aesthetically beautiful as they have done in Warsaw and not buildings that featureless concrete, bendy glass or chrome.

The people in charge of planning authorities in the 1960's must have had serious mental health issues to allow so many brutalist concrete monstrosities to be built.
George Hughes

Hawick_1987 wrote:
Cracking find Vinny, and I did not know about the WWII bomb BT - nice bit of information there.  


Hi there, I was born in Rottenrow Hospital in July 1940 and my Parents were the Caretakers Of 142 Queen St.(My father was away in the Navy). We were sheltering (I was in my baby gas mask) in the basement of 142 when the bomb dropped.

       urbanglasgow.co.uk Forum Index -> Glasgow Development & Demolition
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
The early bird catches the worm (proverb) | The second mouse gets the cheese (fact)