Archive for urbanglasgow.co.uk For information past, present & future on the city of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
 


       urbanglasgow.co.uk Forum Index -> Glasgow Development & Demolition
calamity

Calton Lancastrian School

This is something a came across while looking at old photos on the Mitchell site...



Subjects
Schools
Green St
Calton
Schools
Default Item
Record Number C8960
Caption 107 Green St, 1966
Description Lancastrian School (demolished)
Area Calton
Street Green St
Number 107
Date 6 July 1966... photograph on Virtual Mitchell.



The displaced Great Hamilton Street Methodists found themselves a less costly home in Green Street, Calton. This Green Street Chapel was built in 1811 as a Lancastrian School.  It was one of many such educational establishments founded by the Quaker Joseph Lancaster which utilised the monitorial system of tuition whereby older students taught younger students.  The school did not continue beyond a few years, and by 1820 the building had become vacant.  Part of it was used as a temporary police station and court-house after Calton was elevated to the status of a Burgh of Barony in 1817, and this role continued until new Burgh buildings were constructed in Stevenson Street in 1823-24.  The society remained in Green Street until 1851.
cybers

Should it no be in the Calton thread lol  
calamity

oh aye mibbe.. all shift it...  
       urbanglasgow.co.uk Forum Index -> Glasgow Development & Demolition
Page 1 of 1