Archive for urbanglasgow.co.uk For information past, present & future on the city of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
 


       urbanglasgow.co.uk Forum Index -> The Urban Glasgow Collection
James

General Discussion Thread

Urban Glasgow Collection General Discussion Thread

Please use the discussion thread for any conversation on any of the sections/images that are of interest to you or if you wish to make general comment.

We are trying to ensure that the project threads are not cluttered with random distractions and are able to grow and remain viewable to others. So please keep the chit chat in this thread.
westtender

This is fab. Absolutely fascinating. There's no enough hours in the day!

You guys are doing a great job - youse deserve a medal.

Thanks HH for the heads up. Keep up the good work.

Fjord

Welcome aboard westtender feel free to add your tuppence worth to our multifarious topics
cybers

So ...
After finding the time to actually view the collection properly i have to say...
That was great. A wee nostalgic trip through the toon via old photo's and looking back i was astounded to see so little in the way of traffic.
I could not help but notice how many parking spaces there seemed to be and how fashionable we looked back in the old days.
It was also amazing to notice that in some of the people photo's the swanky threads from then are seen on the kids of today and they think its the 1st time around. And we cant help but think "What would it have been like"
Well i remember having to go outside to play because there was no video or the telly needed a valve I do not think the city has suffered from change it has to move on, But what i do find slightly off putting is why some of these grander buildings had to go. Hindsight they say is a wonderful thing and nostalgia is only how you percieve it.
Thats what makes these photo's extra special as we can dip in and out of the past see what it was like and though we cannot experience it for ourselves we can at least have a wee look.

If we are totally honest would we swap our up n doon sterr back n front door 3 apt up a close wae an inside lavvy for a single end wae the cludgie on the landin or worse still halfway doon the back court ?

So to the guys and gals who put this collection together i thank you. It truly is smashing and heres hoping there is a generation behind us who view our efforts to capture a moment in time of this city with the same nostalgia and wonderment.

P.S
That extra special photo for me is the Fifti ices one on the Saltmarket lets face it was there any glesga wean who never went daft at the sound of the chimes ? (real wans)
Alex Glass

cybers wrote:
So ...
After finding the time to actually view the collection properly i have to say...
That was great. A wee nostalgic trip through the toon via old photo's and looking back i was astounded to see so little in the way of traffic.
I could not help but notice how many parking spaces there seemed to be and how fashionable we looked back in the old days.
It was also amazing to notice that in some of the people photo's the swanky threads from then are seen on the kids of today and they think its the 1st time around. And we cant help but think "What would it have been like"
Well i remember having to go outside to play because there was no video or the telly needed a valve I do not think the city has suffered from change it has to move on, But what i do find slightly off putting is why some of these grander buildings had to go. Hindsight they say is a wonderful thing and nostalgia is only how you percieve it.
Thats what makes these photo's extra special as we can dip in and out of the past see what it was like and though we cannot experience it for ourselves we can at least have a wee look.

If we are totally honest would we swap our up n doon sterr back n front door 3 apt up a close wae an inside lavvy for a single end wae the cludgie on the landin or worse still halfway doon the back court ?

So to the guys and gals who put this collection together i thank you. It truly is smashing and heres hoping there is a generation behind us who view our efforts to capture a moment in time of this city with the same nostalgia and wonderment.

P.S
That extra special photo for me is the Fifti ices one on the Saltmarket lets face it was there any glesga wean who never went daft at the sound of the chimes ? (real wans)


I had to quote your comments Cybers as I totally agree with every word you have said. These comments would have been a fitting header to many of the photo sections in the Urban Glasgow Collection
John

Finally got some spare time to see the collection at leisure and it didn`t disappoint, excellent stuff in here, hours and hours of reading.
I think cybers said it all in his post so i`m away for another browse
HollowHorn

Scary wrote:
i`m away for another browse

Good man, Scary, you have an greater insight into demolished buildings than most here, get posting the good stuff.  
trolleybus

Some great posts on here.

Think what annoys us all even we don,t want to go back sharing outside lavvies is the complete destuction of inner city Glasgow.

My personal hate is the Townhead interchange.

They did,nt even get it right, funneling everything in two lanes heading for the Kingston Bridge.

Seems that on the lavvy front the last houses with outside toilets were in Govanhill pre renovation early 1990s.

My mate had a key for one in Allison St.

Did,nt share the toilet though, he was the only one left in the close.
mark831

This site is absolutely tremendous!! Some of the photos are awe inspiring and have made me want to go and take some of my own!! As soon as I do I will be posting them for your pleasure, although I dont know if they will do justice compared to what I have seen already!!

Good job guys!!
Whitehill Lass

Ok if I die of starvation I'm blaming this site  
I have been up since 7.15am and thought since I got the link sent to me for the site would have a wee nosey around,but once I got started looking through the photo's I looked at the clock and it was 9.40am ,I have not even had my morning cuppa never mind my brekky .
Absolutly brilliant site and lots of hard work has went into providing the various topics etc,keep up the good work and thank you for sharing all your info etc.

cheerio the noo
joyce

Agree with all thats been said just found this site a few days ago and havent been off it since...still havent had a real look round, the time just flies...but I am enjoying it and know I will enjoy the bits I have still to find, brill work and well done with this site  
sdunlop

Hello all, im glad i found this site, huge amount of stuff on here. i no longer live in glasgow but make models of glasgow for google earth. if you havent already done so, try zooming in on glasgow, make sure the terrain and 3d buildings boxes are ticked in the layers sections. you'll also have to tick view/ show navigation/ always in order to move about the buildings. You'll find my latest models here - http://sketchup.google.com/3dware...3185264172137476283&scoring=m

i was wondering if anyone had photos of the big red sandstone building on the junction of west regent and renfield street? im needing photos from all different angles.
Alex Glass

Wouldn't be a problem getting photos if you can confirm which corner. Is it the one diagonally opposite the Odeon?
Felix Films

Looking for Tunnel

I am going to shoot a music video for a local Glasgow band Le Reno Amps. I am wanting to shoot the band set piece in a tunnel and then fill in all the darkness around them with 80s arcade graphics.

I was planning on using the Botanics but it has been pretty well sealed off.

Any other suggestions. The only criteria is that it would have to fit a four piece band in width and it has to have a dark end to it or in other words you can not see any day light at the far end.

Any help or advice would be great.
Stuball

It's not something we really discuss in public for security and safety reasons but enough digging about on the forum should reveal maps of the old tunnel locations and some hints to access status
Alex Glass

Re: Looking for Tunnel

Felix Films wrote:
I am going to shoot a music video for a local Glasgow band Le Reno Amps. I am wanting to shoot the band set piece in a tunnel and then fill in all the darkness around them with 80s arcade graphics.

I was planning on using the Botanics but it has been pretty well sealed off.

Any other suggestions. The only criteria is that it would have to fit a four piece band in width and it has to have a dark end to it or in other words you can not see any day light at the far end.

Any help or advice would be great.


Ask SPT if it is possible to get access to the London Road Tunnel
silliker

Whitehill Lass wrote:
Ok if I die of starvation I'm blaming this site
I have been up since 7.15am and thought since I got the link sent to me for the site would have a wee nosey around,but once I got started looking through the photo's I looked at the clock and it was 9.40am ,I have not even had my morning cuppa never mind my brekky .
Absolutly brilliant site and lots of hard work has went into providing the various topics etc,keep up the good work and thank you for sharing all your info etc.

cheerio the noo


I've been roaming around this site for an hour just looking for some old photos and I really am fascinated just by looking at those things.  And Im not yet done looking around, still lots of stuffs to look for.
silliker

I've got lots of things to read in here.
Guzzik

Hi and, Alexander Parade

Hello to every one, I lived at 125 Alexander Parade from about 1960 till 1968 I think, just as everyone at the Castle Street end were being moved out to knock it all down.  I have been telling my wife all about Dot's the Dairy, thr Co-op, the Masonic Hall, the garage at the start of Wishart Street, my primary school Golfhill Primary etc and so forth.  Is there any images of this end of the parade out there that will show the front of the tennements from then and the garage etc?

John
Beano

Welcome Guzzik you might find it in here
http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/forum20.php
Guzzik

Thank you Beano.  I am loving looking at these old pics anyway so hope to find a few of where I lived for that time.
smb95

Should I start a "What would your dream Glasgow be?" thread?
cybers

No ! What is it with you and dreams... calm yir jets and if yi are really dying to tell us about your dreams do it here.

http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/ftopic35-1370.php
Alex Glass

It fifty years ago this year that Martin Luther King had a dream.

Marblez

And forty years this year since Aerosmith released Dream On

Also Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon that year with the resulting Brain Damage
cybers

Alex Glass wrote:
It fifty years ago this year that Martin Luther King had a dream.



Kennedy assassination quickly followed up by the greatest cover up of all time the murder of Lee Harvey Oswald.
Alex Glass

We never got to find out what LBJ knew either. On the back of Oswald's murder he became the President of the US of A.
smb95

I've calculated that there are a total of 2,480 topics on this forum so far.
Alex Glass

Hey Rainman

did you count then yourself or is it an educated calculation ????
cybers

Alex Glass wrote:
smb95 wrote:
I've calculated that there are a total of 2,480 topics on this forum so far.


Hey Rainman

did you count them yourself or is it an educated calculation ????



Seriously I have tears running down my face laughing at this. and for the record

Quote:
Our users have posted a total of 95516 articles
Marblez

Ahm glad ahm no his maths teacher .....  
Alex Glass

Ally he is the maths teacher  
Marblez

Some things will never add up !
cybers

After recent SFA changes he is now in the Long Division.
I hope he takes photography as a higher subject I will be curious to see how he gets all those elephants in the darkroom.
Marblez

Shouldnae be a problem spotting white elephants in a darkroom surely ? ..
Alex Glass

now you have me pmsl

We need to stop this now before someone drowns
Marblez

I'm sure he will pass will pass with flying colours ... after all how hard can it be to do digital photography in a darkroom
cybers

Well I am off out to photograph this fair city.... Darkness Calls  
Marblez

As long as ye keep yer teeth from fair maidens necks my friend ... have fun
smb95

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Hawick_1987

smb95 wrote:
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!


..and to you and yours. I understand it is just an abstract and arbitrary unit of celestial measurement, but 2014 should prove to be an interesting year for Glasgow and UG! Let's make it a belter folks!  
fastnet

Hawick_1987 wrote:
smb95 wrote:
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!


..and to you and yours. I understand it is just an abstract and arbitrary unit of celestial measurement, but 2014 should prove to be an interesting year for Glasgow and UG! Let's make it a belter folks!



Ach..... It's just another day mate.....  
Doog Doog

Happy New Year to all on UG!
smb95

Anyone know of any physical shops within Glasgow that I can buy CDs (albums),as it would appear that the two HMVs in the city centre (Argyle St & Buchannan St) have closed and someone at my school told me that the HMV in the Silverburn Shopping Centre is now a toys'r'us. Or have I missed a HMV that's still open?
cybers

Argyle street or theres also one in Buchanan Street Virgin Megastore....
if oyu forget the name just take a selfie as a reminder

Marblez

There's also the closing / staying open one at the Fort ....
smb95

It's my 15th birthday today. I got 190 today.
sputnik

happy biffday smb 95.this time next week it will be worth about a tenner less.get it spent.
fastnet

Is that you at the masterbating now ?...


Happy birthday young man.
cybers

     
sputnik

ha,filmed in the clydebank co op just an empty shell of a building now.
norrie

That was funny then and its still funny

       urbanglasgow.co.uk Forum Index -> The Urban Glasgow Collection
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
The early bird catches the worm (proverb) | The second mouse gets the cheese (fact)