Archive for urbanglasgow.co.uk For information past, present & future on the city of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
 


       urbanglasgow.co.uk Forum Index -> Urban Adventures & Exploration
Alex Glass

The Glasgow Tenement

There are lots of photos on here of tenements past and present. But there are few pictures of the close or in the houses.

On a recent wander around Tollcross I found some interesting features.





















There are many more in the West End with features similar to those in the East End. I am sure many on here will also have stories of life in a Glasgow Tenement.

I spent my first seven years living in a tenement in Cowcaddens and witnessed the slum clearances of the area. I also spent 8 years in a more modern tenement in South Nitshill and also 9 years in a modernised tenement in Priesthill.

As a child I remember the old Cowcaddens tenements and the long walk down to the dark dunny. I think I only ever made it to the backcourt once as the fear of confronting a rat was too much for my young nerves.
fastnet

Great pics Alex.

Maybe it is just the stereotype but you would never think there were closes like that in tollcross..
Alex Glass

Thanks Fastnet

I will be looking out for more tomorrow when I am in Parkhead. I am sure there are some nice features in the tenements at Parkhead Cross.
fastnet

I hope you get some good ones Alex.

There should be some gems around there hopefully.
streapadair

See if you can get into the close at the Savings Bank building. If the Savings Bank close in New City Road is anything to go by it should be something special. There's wally closes and wally closes, but I've never seen anything like that.
Alex Glass

Hopefully I will get in there - if not tomorrow then within the next could of weeks.
Stuball

streapadair wrote:
See if you can get into the close at the Savings Bank building. If the Savings Bank close in New City Road is anything to go by it should be something special. There's wally closes and wally closes, but I've never seen anything like that.


I know someone that lives in that block....
Fjord

Very colourful Alex.
Begs the question are original tenement features like ceramic tiles and stained glass doors/windows etc. listed along with the rest of the building or can they be discarded by the owners and replaced with plaster walls and UPVC doors if they wish? Obviously it would be mindless vandalism to even consider it.
Stuball

Whats older.... those types of wooden doors? Or a tenement with storm doors?
27stowst

Really appreciate your pics Alex. Was sooooo impressed with the letterbox in picture No. 3. Lovely bit o' Brasso work.      
Alex Glass

Fjord I think it depends on how the Listing was drawn up. I am sure that when carrying out any repairs etc you need to apply for Listed Building Consent.

I don't think any of the closes in Tollcross are listed
Alex Glass

A modern tenement close



kev

Some back court shots showing just how delapitated they had become...no wonder they never thought of refurbishment..the high rises must have been a dream come true






James

kev9 wrote:
]

Jeezo - that's grim.


James H
wee minx

My goodness, that could have been Carmichael street just before we left, it's just the same.  At the time we just took it as normal  
kev

Remember living at 1262 Springburn road until 1967 when we moved to Galloway st and a fantastic maisionette flat...was 7 at the time but can recall the drains blocking up and us kids playing at the edge of the resulting lake that would appear at the back close...canny see that being allowed today..ps see you all friday
Stuball

The last pic should be in the 'let glasgow flourish' thread too
gallowgategal

Re: A modern tenement close

Alex Glass wrote:




That's exactly like my close. Who left the snib up  

ps..that close is on Bellgrove St and I'm on the Gallowgate, but I will be looking out for you  
Alex Glass

 

A little thing called the service button GG  Great for early morning access.

May be back up that way soon.
Alex Glass

Posh Queen's Park Tenements




Anderston Backs



Castlemilk

cybers

Wow thats right up the top of the drive that one Alex...
Alex Glass

Surprised we don't get more from Castlemilk Cybers.
Stuball

Could say the same for some of the other outer Glasgow reservations like Easterhouse, Drumchapel and Possilpark
cybers

Lived there very early on in life went to Arnprior Primary in Primary 1&2
Then Tormusk in Primary 7
Then back again as an adult.

Dont think there is any photos other than school ones kicking around...
And they aint getting posted.
FULL STOP

               
Alex Glass

That's true Stu

Why do you think that is?

There are lots of members on here and it would be good to here more about some of these parts of Glasgow.
Stuball

Perhaps these areas havent gone through as much change and regeneration as an area such as Pollok?
Alex Glass

Castlemilk has seen significant regeneration over the years. I am sure there must be a lot of history up there too. Easterhouse as well and Drumchapel. There are a couple of people who regularly post on here from Drumchapel. I would be good to see more of these areas.

Cybers what is wrong with you school photos
John

Nah Stu, Castlemilk and Easterhouse have gone through pretty much the same regeneration as Pollok Arden, Darnley, Nitshill and all the other outlying housing schemes, mibees folk just didn`t record it.
Stuball

I have some friend in Castlemilk.... both born and bred. I'll see if I can find any photos and stuff from them. I'm interested in the story of 'The Hole in the Wall' and so on
cybers

Alex Glass wrote:
Castlemilk has seen significant regeneration over the years. I am sure there must be a lot of history up there too. Easterhouse as well and Drumchapel. There are a couple of people who regularly post on here from Drumchapel. I would be good to see more of these areas.

Cybers what is wrong with you school photos


Ahm in thum nuff said....
See sKoOL fotys that wan wean with the sticky up hair and the patches on his elbows ....
That's me  
cybers

Think they stuck up a plaque to the original bundy or something up there too Stu.
Alex Glass

Stuball wrote:
I have some friend in Castlemilk.... both born and bred. I'll see if I can find any photos and stuff from them. I'm interested in the story of 'The Hole in the Wall' and so on


Me too Stu would love to know more about the "Hole in the Wall". Heard something about it years ago but never know what it meant.

Get digging

I tried to get some stuff on Ruchazie a couple of years ago but no one would part with anything. May try again.

Lets hear more from the Westenders
cybers

The wife lived in Bankend St Alex but her head is full of nonsense...


Not aware of any Crazy Chazie photos in here but i must ask her sister who kinda went through her mothers house before anyone arrived after her death.
Alex Glass

When did she live in Bankend Street?

I lived in Gartcraig Road from 1967 till 1982 and my mum and dad were there till 1999.
cybers

Think she moved to Dennistoun around 83 Alex...
She was still going to St Gregory's when i met her...though i hated her then...

Wait i still hate her      
Alex Glass

She would have been there when the Doyle's house was torched

Will be good to have a chat about the area
calamity

the pics on here of tenements were the toffy end of town.. we didnt have doors or walls like that, ah mind ma mammy washing down the walls with lineed oil for some daft reason.. and painting white lines down the sides of the stairs, the outside toilet, was horrible, as we shared with two other families. no light in it either. so you had to make sure you went when it was still a bit light. my ma used to varnish the door at Hogmanay and aw the revellers got stuck to it..
Flash1974

Scary wrote:
Nah Stu, Castlemilk and Easterhouse have gone through pretty much the same regeneration as Pollok Arden, Darnley, Nitshill and all the other outlying housing schemes, mibees folk just didn`t record it.


I got Castlemilk recorded on film Cybers

Most of the work I did in the area was between 1992 and 2005

I also have a documentary I helped create and was funded by STV and Scottish Screen (formely the Scottish Film Council). It gives a detailed account of Castlemilk's rise as a housing scheme - why it was built, what went wrong and the place as it was at the end of 1995 - it is called "Looking for Mr Rogers" and this was due to The Guardian coming to Castlemilk in the summer of 1994, beefed up with Richard Rogers who was scanning the area around The Oasis - anyway The Guardian slated the place, and this article gave inspiration to make an hour long production focussing on the social history of the place. I was the researcher on the project.

It entered the Centenary Reels competition of 1996 - but it never won, Peter Mullan's "Close" was also entered in the same competition if anybody's ever seen it.
calamity

any chance of getting into Greenhead Gardens or Greenhead st for close photis Alex.. think theyd be something..ah remember years ago ah was asked to carry up messages for old woman I knew from Broad st. Mary McCartney, she was some woman.. so funny, anyway when I went up her close in Broad st , building still there I got the shock of my life with the lovely gloss tiles and the bunkers out on the landing.. noo that was toffy..
Alex Glass

Flash1974 wrote:
Scary wrote:
Nah Stu, Castlemilk and Easterhouse have gone through pretty much the same regeneration as Pollok Arden, Darnley, Nitshill and all the other outlying housing schemes, mibees folk just didn`t record it.


I got Castlemilk recorded on film Cybers

Most of the work I did in the area was between 1992 and 2005

I also have a documentary I helped create and was funded by STV and Scottish Screen (formely the Scottish Film Council). It gives a detailed account of Castlemilk's rise as a housing scheme - why it was built, what went wrong and the place as it was at the end of 1995 - it is called "Looking for Mr Rogers" and this was due to The Guardian coming to Castlemilk in the summer of 1994, beefed up with Richard Rogers who was scanning the area around The Oasis - anyway The Guardian slated the place, and this article gave inspiration to make an hour long production focussing on the social history of the place. I was the researcher on the project.

It entered the Centenary Reels competition of 1996 - but it never won, Peter Mullan's "Close" was also entered in the same competition if anybody's ever seen it.


Do you have a copy Flash or know where to get a copy? Would be good to see your documentary and also Peter Mullan's film as well.

Calamity if you can give me more details about the location/building you are talking about I will make some enquiries.
Flash1974

Alex Glass wrote:
Flash1974 wrote:
Scary wrote:
Nah Stu, Castlemilk and Easterhouse have gone through pretty much the same regeneration as Pollok Arden, Darnley, Nitshill and all the other outlying housing schemes, mibees folk just didn`t record it.


I got Castlemilk recorded on film Cybers

Most of the work I did in the area was between 1992 and 2005

I also have a documentary I helped create and was funded by STV and Scottish Screen (formely the Scottish Film Council). It gives a detailed account of Castlemilk's rise as a housing scheme - why it was built, what went wrong and the place as it was at the end of 1995 - it is called "Looking for Mr Rogers" and this was due to The Guardian coming to Castlemilk in the summer of 1994, beefed up with Richard Rogers who was scanning the area around The Oasis - anyway The Guardian slated the place, and this article gave inspiration to make an hour long production focussing on the social history of the place. I was the researcher on the project.

It entered the Centenary Reels competition of 1996 - but it never won, Peter Mullan's "Close" was also entered in the same competition if anybody's ever seen it.


Do you have a copy Flash or know where to get a copy? Would be good to see your documentary and also Peter Mullan's film as well.

Calamity if you can give me more details about the location/building you are talking about I will make some enquiries.



Hiya Alex

I have a copy of the documentary on DVD - I used to have the original on VHS - gave a loan of it to someone and never got it back (now there's a surprise)

I also have Peter Mullan's close on VHS and a short film that was made in Raithburn back in the early 90's called "To A Mouse" which featured Frank Gallagher who was in Orphans as the delivery guy and who's now in River City.

Speaking of tenements - I captured most of the city during the 90's and early part of the Noughtie's - got a few of Nitshill as well as Pollok, Corkerhill, Drumchapel, Cranhill and Easterhouse, the majority of which were Castlemilk but as you know, they were never quite as spectacular or as appealing as (most but not all) the Victorian property and the communities they formed, hence the short time the post war properties were in existence - but all in all they housed a lot of good people.

I'll get them up on here at somepoint soon


Saw a picture in this thread you posted of the top of Castlemilk Drive at Stravanan Road that comes from a Book called "This Is Your City - Glasgow and The Clyde" published by Holmes McDougall in 1970 - I'm maybe reckoning the photo was taken in 1969.
HollowHorn

From the inside:



Window detail:


I guess if you opened that window you would see the 'hidden cottages'.
Stuball


Tenement Life by stuballscramble, on Flickr
cybers

Like that muchos
fatweegee

wee minx wrote:
My goodness, that could have been Carmichael street just before we left, it's just the same.  At the time we just took it as normal  


Minx - I'm from Linthouse and our back courts looked pretty much the same as did a lot of others in and around Govan - you're right though we just took it as being normal.
       urbanglasgow.co.uk Forum Index -> Urban Adventures & Exploration
Page 1 of 1