Archive for urbanglasgow.co.uk For information past, present & future on the city of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
 


       urbanglasgow.co.uk Forum Index -> Glasgow From The Past
Bleulander

Two iron bridges demolished near old Partick West Station?

On  Dumbarton Road Partick, there was two Two iron bridges spanning Dumbarton Road  near the old Partick West Station, closed 1964, demolished 1967.

When where the two iron bridges demolished?, near the old Partick West Station.
I remember them when I went to Partick In the early 1970s.
Stuball

At a rough guess, not long before Partick Police station was built?
Marblez

Re: Two iron bridges demolished near the old Partick West St

Bleulander wrote:
On  Dumbarton Road Partick, there was two Two iron bridges spanning Dumbarton Road  near the old Partick West Station, closed 1964

demolished 1967. When where the two iron bridges demolished?.


Can we clarify exactly what the question is please ?
Bleulander

On Dumbarton Road In Partick, there was two Two iron bridges spanning Dumbarton Road.
When where the two iron bridges demolished?

Partick West Station, closed 1964, demolished 1967. Not the two iron bridges, they where demolished some years later.

I want to know, When where the two iron bridges demolished?
Stuball

Re: Two iron bridges demolished near the old Partick West St

Marblez wrote:
Bleulander wrote:
On  Dumbarton Road Partick, there was two Two iron bridges spanning Dumbarton Road  near the old Partick West Station, closed 1964

demolished 1967. When where the two iron bridges demolished?.


Can we clarify exactly what the question is please ?


I think he means the two where Partick police station is now
Bleulander

Re: Two iron bridges demolished near the old Partick West St

Stuball wrote:
Marblez wrote:
Bleulander wrote:
On  Dumbarton Road Partick, there was two Two iron bridges spanning Dumbarton Road  near the old Partick West Station, closed 1964

demolished 1967. When where the two iron bridges demolished?.


Can we clarify exactly what the question is please ?


I think he means the two where Partick police station is now


Yes they where both Situated at the position of the Partick police station on Dumbarton Road.
Vinny the Mackem

These two bridges, I presume.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#z...715&lon=-4.3195&layers=10
IBrown

Can't give an exact date, but hope to narrow it down.

The bridges over Dumbarton Road remained for many years after the line closed because the GGPTE put a solum reservation upon many of the closed former railways around the City, for future planned re-opening, and this was one of those. An example of the effect of that reservation : The Clyde Expressway crossed the old railway tunnel / cutting west of the North Electric line on a new concrete bridge, rather than infill. Along comes SPTE and promptly cancelled those solum reservations - predominantly for new roads.

While the Argyle Line opened in 1979, the new Partick station didn't until around 6 months later, and old Partickhill station remained in use until then. The bridges were still up at this time and were visible from the North Electric line trains when they crossed Dumbarton Road.

Part of the work of reforming the embankment / route at the new station involved the breaking and infill of the Central Low Level cutting / tunnel roof where it passed under the North Electric line just to the east of the new station.

So I reckon the bridges were removed in the early 1980's when further destruction of the old solum took place in the area of the triangular junction with the removal of the Central Low Level main line embankment for the alterations to the Expressway links with Dumbarton Road at Whiteinch.
James

Vinny the Mackem wrote:
These two bridges, I presume.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#z...715&lon=-4.3195&layers=10

Yep, these:






James H
James

IBrown wrote:
Can't give an exact date, but hope to narrow it down.

The bridges over Dumbarton Road remained for many years after the line closed because the GGPTE put a solum reservation upon many of the closed former railways around the City, for future planned re-opening, and this was one of those. An example of the effect of that reservation : The Clyde Expressway crossed the old railway tunnel / cutting west of the North Electric line on a new concrete bridge, rather than infill. Along comes SPTE and promptly cancelled those solum reservations - predominantly for new roads.

While the Argyle Line opened in 1979, the new Partick station didn't until around 6 months later, and old Partickhill station remained in use until then. The bridges were still up at this time and were visible from the North Electric line trains when they crossed Dumbarton Road.

Part of the work of reforming the embankment / route at the new station involved the breaking and infill of the Central Low Level cutting / tunnel roof where it passed under the North Electric line just to the east of the new station.

So I reckon the bridges were removed in the early 1980's when further destruction of the old solum took place in the area of the triangular junction with the removal of the Central Low Level main line embankment for the alterations to the Expressway links with Dumbarton Road at Whiteinch.

I never knew that. Presumably, the Clydeside Express was built when GGPTE were in charge, as they
built the road over the Central Low Level line as shown by Fjords pics in this thread. There was still
a single line in place when the road was built and I think it survived until around 1978. Sadly.now
gone forever.




James H
Marblez

IBrown wrote:
Can't give an exact date, but hope to narrow it down.

So I reckon the bridges were removed in the early 1980's when further destruction of the old solum took place in the area of the triangular junction with the removal of the Central Low Level main line embankment for the alterations to the Expressway links with Dumbarton Road at Whiteinch.


Having understood the question I would agree with Ian. The infrastructure was kept in place for future reopening until after the Argyle Line reopened in 1979

Tesco on Maryhill Road was built with a platform in the basement should the line ever be reopened, as it turns out it never did

The bridges would have been removed possibly in conjunction with the new Partick Polis station... so that would tie in as being sometime in the early 1980's

On a side note - Tesco's were responsible for the demolition of the old Partick Central building on Benalder Street, which was also on the L&D (Lanarkshire & Dumbarton line). This was in relation to their plans to build on that site. These plans were refused permission by the council but by then the building was gone
Bleulander

Thanks a lot guys, this Is what I wanted to know.
It's interesting to see what happened In the photo's
IBrown

James wrote:
IBrown wrote:
Can't give an exact date, but hope to narrow it down.

The bridges over Dumbarton Road remained for many years after the line closed because the GGPTE put a solum reservation upon many of the closed former railways around the City, for future planned re-opening, and this was one of those. An example of the effect of that reservation : The Clyde Expressway crossed the old railway tunnel / cutting west of the North Electric line on a new concrete bridge, rather than infill. Along comes SPTE and promptly cancelled those solum reservations - predominantly for new roads.

While the Argyle Line opened in 1979, the new Partick station didn't until around 6 months later, and old Partickhill station remained in use until then. The bridges were still up at this time and were visible from the North Electric line trains when they crossed Dumbarton Road.

Part of the work of reforming the embankment / route at the new station involved the breaking and infill of the Central Low Level cutting / tunnel roof where it passed under the North Electric line just to the east of the new station.

So I reckon the bridges were removed in the early 1980's when further destruction of the old solum took place in the area of the triangular junction with the removal of the Central Low Level main line embankment for the alterations to the Expressway links with Dumbarton Road at Whiteinch.

I never knew that. Presumably, the Clydeside Express was built when GGPTE were in charge, as they
built the road over the Central Low Level line as shown by Fjords pics in this thread. There was still
a single line in place when the road was built and I think it survived until around 1978. Sadly.now
gone forever.




James H


While the Central Low Level line was closed and lifted, other parts of the railway remained for Freight. The line from Partick Central all the way down to Old Kilpatrick was one of those, albeit worked as two separate single lines from Yoker Yard. Towards Partick Central there were still 3 main flows of traffic right up to the line closed (1) Meadowside Granary was the first to close, it supplied grain to distillers at Dumbarton, maybes till mid-70's; (2) Bowling / Grangemouth supplied oil to the Depot at Partick Central and (3) empty wagons were sent to the scrap yard at Partick Central for cutting up, both right to the end in 1978, that'll be the single line you refer to.
Vinny the Mackem

James wrote:
Vinny the Mackem wrote:
These two bridges, I presume.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#z...715&lon=-4.3195&layers=10

Yep, these:






James H


The comparison looks like two different locations!

Oh, and is the chippy in the second photo owned by a pirate?  
applemaca

Vinny the Mackem wrote:
James wrote:
Vinny the Mackem wrote:
These two bridges, I presume.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#z...715&lon=-4.3195&layers=10

Yep, these:






James H


The comparison looks like two different locations!

Oh, and is the chippy in the second photo owned by a pirate?  


Definitely the same location & yes it is m'lad.

       urbanglasgow.co.uk Forum Index -> Glasgow From The Past
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
The early bird catches the worm (proverb) | The second mouse gets the cheese (fact)