Archive for urbanglasgow.co.uk For information past, present & future on the city of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
 

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

       urbanglasgow.co.uk Forum Index -> Urban Adventures, Exploration & Photography
James

Water Towers

Western Cleddens Road, Bishopbriggs




James H
LowLight

Nice thread.

Garthamlock: Daddy Of Them All





kev

There was a massive one in Springburn park which was demolished in 1978


the outline of it is still there...


the old cricket pavilion came down later..

cybers

Cranhill..
Alex Glass

Good to see someone has statred a thread on this topic. I am sure that it will go on and on.
James

Towers to be bathed in light (Evening Times)



GLASGOW'S skyline is set for transformation with two iconic water towers
being prepared for illumination.


The Craigend and Garthamlock water towers will be lit up like giant beacons
to mark the start of a five-day festival of the East End's history and heritage.

The towers, which were originally built to supply Glasgow with water from Loch
Katrine, will be bathed in light at 7.30pm a week tomorrow for the Discover
Festival. It boasts an exciting programme of performances, events and tours
across the East End, to encourage people to re-discover the amazing buildings
and history on their doorstep.

Bailie Catherine McMaster, chairwoman of Baillieston, Shettleston and Greater
Easterhouse Community Planning Board said: "The re-lighting of the Garthamlock
and Craigend community landmarks is a fitting way to mark the launch of Discover.
I would encourage people from across the city to get involved - I want people
to be adventurous and nosey during this weekend."

Discover takes place from September 16 to 20 as part of Doors Open Day,
Glasgow's Built Heritage Festival which allows visitors into more than 140 buildings
in the city this month.

This year more venues in Glasgow's East End will be participating than ever,
providing visitors with access to some of the area's hidden gems. One tour
takes in more than 60 listed monuments in Bridgeton and Calton, while another
event reveals a brief history of the 19th century weavers and mills in the East End.

There's also going to be a look at artist Andy Scott's public artworks, including
the Easter-house Phoenix. The story of Glasgow and its people from 1750 to
present is to be told at the People's Palace and Winter Gardens.

Free shuttle buses will run from George Square to Provan Hall every hour during
the festival and hop on/off community buses will then take visitors on a tour of
east Glasgow. Discover has been developed through a partnership with Glasgow
Community Planning, Glasgow City Council, City Building, Culture & Sport Glasgow,
Glasgow East Regeneration Agency, Glasgow Housing Association, Platform
and a range of local partners.

For full details and how to book log on to www.glasgowdoorsopenday.com

Further information is also available from www.platform-online.co.uk and
www.engageme.org.uk



James H
Jock58

Hi All

Anyone get a good shot of the Priesthill tower before it was demolished?
I have seen a few distance shots on UG but cant remember a closer view.

Jock58
carsee

Nice to see they are lighting up the towers again I live not far from them and used to like seeing them lit up.
John

Pollok Water Tower in Stirling Maxwell Forest Park.


John


[/img]
dickyhart

This is the water tower that supplied Woodilee Hospital.

wee minx

Scary wrote:

[/img]

I used to work right next to that one
Doorstop

What were you doing in the woods then Minxy?  
wee minx

Doorstop wrote:
What were you doing in the woods then Minxy?  



Creepy crawlies, creepy crawlies  
antsplan



Hello all, this is just my second post. I photographed these two in Garthamlock/Craigend on Wednesday night at the opening of the Discover festival.

Anyway, having lived in the east end all my life I have never thought about the towers and decided to do a wee bit of research.  

I can tell you the Garthamlock Tower was innagurated on 31st October 1957 (it took me a day in the Mitchell to find this).  As well as this I have a bit of info that suggests the 9 towers in Glasgow are named after planets ?  Cranhill being named after Neptune ??? Can anyone confirm and add in the remaining 8 towers and their respective planet nicknames ?

Thanks

A
Stuball

Hi and welcome to Urbanglasgow antsplan. Neptune you say? Interesting.... I wonder which one is pluto since its no longer a planet
Alex Glass

Welcome to Urban Glasgow Antsplan

Great second post. Keep up the good work and look forward to hearing more from your research.
dickyhart

nice work antsplan, good stuff
Whitehill Lass

the towers look great with the coloured lights
fastnet

Uddingston.

fastnet

Cranhill and Garthamlock tonight.





Doog Doog

Nice
mondobongo

Scary wrote:



Wow... where's that one scary?

mo
Alex Glass

MoBo that tower is located in the grounds of the National Savings and Investments Bank at Cowglen/Pollok opposite Silverburn across the motorway.
John

Alex Glass wrote:
MoBo that tower is located in the grounds of the National Savings and Investments Bank at Cowglen/Pollok opposite Silverburn across the motorway.


Not quite Alex, it`s in the grounds of the old Cowglen Hospital, but thanks for replying as I missed this post.
Alex Glass

Do you know who owns it Scary?
John

No idea who owns it Alex, but I assume it supplied the old hospital as it`s beyond the NS&I boundary fence and is now defunct.
mondobongo

Thanks for the info Alex and Scary. I've never seen that one, can you see it from Barrhead Rd?

Oh and I may as well keep pestering you guys for info while I'm here... are these large concrete water towers unique to Glasgow? I've never seen any like them anywhere else.
John

Hi Mo, you can see the water tower from Barrhead Rd but only just, it sits at the edge of the M77 behind the NS&I Bank car park.
These towers are all over Britain http://www.eber.se/torn/gb/index.html
mondobongo

Thanks for that Scary. I've followed your directions and have now spotted it on Google maps. Oh and great link, thanks.

There are lots of small cast iron tanks and stone towers around my neck of the woods but I've never seen any big concrete ones outside of Glasgow... mind you that probably says more about my social life than the occurrence of water towers!

PS. You guys don't hang about replying. Much appreciated. I just wish I could get this kind of service from the NHS  
cybers

mondobongo wrote:
Thanks for that Scary. I've followed your directions and have now spotted it on Google maps. Oh and great link, thanks.

There are lots of small cast iron tanks and stone towers around my neck of the woods but I've never seen any big concrete ones outside of Glasgow... mind you that probably says more about my social life than the occurrence of water towers!

PS. You guys don't hang about replying. Much appreciated. I just wish I could get this kind of service from the NHS  


They all work for the NHS .... Too busy on here .... the NHS24 dont mean hours or mins its seconds
mondobongo

cybers wrote:
They all work for the NHS .... Too busy on here


       Nice one.

Aye, I bet these doctors all got their anatomy degrees studying the anatomy of Glasgow.
LowLight

antsplan wrote:


Hello all, this is just my second post. I photographed these two in Garthamlock/Craigend on Wednesday night at the opening of the Discover festival.

Anyway, having lived in the east end all my life I have never thought about the towers and decided to do a wee bit of research.  

I can tell you the Garthamlock Tower was innagurated on 31st October 1957 (it took me a day in the Mitchell to find this).  As well as this I have a bit of info that suggests the 9 towers in Glasgow are named after planets ?  Cranhill being named after Neptune ??? Can anyone confirm and add in the remaining 8 towers and their respective planet nicknames ?
Thanks

A


Are the two Garthamlock/Craigend towers called The Sun & The Moon? I noticed the caption on a pic in the Tower Homes leaflet. Possibly this pic that was used too.
cybers

Rumours abound that they were all called after planets but not been able to confirm that as a fact.
LowLight

A dark "Neptune".

Beano

WOW      
LowLight

Unaltered image.  
wee minx

LowLight wrote:
A dark "Neptune".



Stunning   , at least the sky is not polluted with that orange colour like it is in Glasgow centre  
Doog Doog

aye nice one  
LowLight

Thanks guys. It is hard to bget a good shot with those pishy lights all over the place.
fastnet

LowLight wrote:
Thanks guys. It is hard to bget a good shot with those pishy lights all over the place.


Yer a brave man mate.............I know some dodgy people around there...
LowLight

fastnet wrote:
LowLight wrote:
Thanks guys. It is hard to bget a good shot with those pishy lights all over the place.


Yer a brave man mate.............I know some dodgy people around there...


I'm probably one of them  
stu317

Glasgow Water Tower

I've finally collated some pics and drawings/ info on Glasgow Water Towers at the following link:

http://water-towers-of-glasgow.viewbook.com/

       urbanglasgow.co.uk Forum Index -> Urban Adventures, Exploration & Photography
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
The early bird catches the worm (proverb) | The second mouse gets the cheese (fact)