urbanglasgow.co.uk
For information past, present & future on the city of Glasgow, Scotland, UK

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    Join! (free) Join! (free)
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Bridges - Part 2
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    urbanglasgow.co.uk Forum Index -> Other Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doog Doog
Kebab Pizza
Kebab Pizza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Bridges - Part 2  Reply with quote Report this post to Mods

Moderator Edit

Topic Split to Archive the first 50 pages. Part 1 can be found here.

http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/sutra95235.php#95235

First of the year...

BTJustice
Deep fried Mars bar
Deep fried Mars bar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Mods

2013 new years day 111 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr
IBrown
Fish supper
Fish supper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Mods

It’s a great thread. But going by page 10, you guys missed a rare photo opportunity!

cybers wrote:
fastnet wrote:
james73 wrote:
cybers wrote:
No mate this is the larger one at Broxburn...

Is it still in use? If so what line is it?

James H

For some reason I always thought it was the canal that went along there..........    

Service both ways every 10 or so mins as far as i can tell its the edinburgh main line from Glasgow/Stirling via Linlithgow across the viaduct and on to Ratho Station Etc Etc...

Here is the Flash earth Link... http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=55...66&z=16.6&r=0&src=msl

For the record the Linlithgow one is also rail not canal as the canal comes through Linlithgow higher up the hill.

I think this may be the ‘other’ one at Lithlithgow, page 39:-

fastnet wrote:

Viaduct by john.mcknight, on Flickr

They are both spectacular viaducts in their own right. Page 10, the Almond Valley viaduct, lies on the Edinburgh side of Linlithgow; Page 39 the Avon Valley viaduct lies on the Glasgow side of Linlithgow, both on the main Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh line.

The conversation (above) reminded me mistaking a viaduct I saw while crossing the Avon Viaduct (above?) by train, for a railway viaduct, and thinking that railway was the long disused Slamannan railway, which I intended to walk. I’d mentioned this to a work colleague who lived in Linlithgow and was surprised to learn from him that this wasn’t a railway viaduct. It was an aqueduct carrying the (now-open) Union Canal across the Avon Valley. It is open to the public to walk or cycle over (we walked the bikes over) it has handrails, and the towpath runs on the railway side of the canal. The towpath is the advertised ‘canal walk’ between Falkirk High and Linlithgow stations. That would take you through the only tunnel on the canal, and there are a few bridges of note especially the one just on the Polmont side of the tunnel with the sad frowning face carved on the ‘Glasgow’ side, and a happy smiling face carved on the ‘Edinburgh’ side.

The Avon viaduct and aqueduct lie between Polmont and Linlithgow stations, and although it is a shorter walk / cycle run there is slightly less to see. It is possible to photograph the railway viaduct from the aqueduct – the height here gives some view NE down the valley towards the viaduct. But here’s the catch, you’re a good mile away, so you need the kit and the expertise to get that 2013 top photo. That rules me oot.

Doing it the opposite way round - taking a photo of the aqueduct from the rail viaduct from a train running between Linlithgow and Polmont - will be trickier, because you will be shooting through glass, and as the train will be doing 80mph there, you have 10 seconds at best to get that shot.
cybers
Gobshite Mod
Gobshite Mod

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Mods

The Avon Aqueduct can be reached from Almond Road from the car park and is a short 5min walk  it is possible to get to it via Belsyde but the farmers are less than impressed by cars left on the verge and damage to vehicles is common in the area. The walk to the tunnel (west) from Avon Gorge to Glen Village is not for the faint of heart and cyclists on the towpaths have been known to take the less than scenic route to the weeds so be prepared to give way to families walking unless you like swimming. The other more impressive aqueduct on the canal is in Almond Park at Clifton, West Lothian as this is where the automatic leveller is above the Almond River. Pretty cool when its open in summer astounding in winter when the dripping freezes up.

If i have time later today i may well dig out my photos of Almond gorge aqueduct to viaduct or go do them.
IBrown
Fish supper
Fish supper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Mods

For clarity, the Avon aqueduct doesn’t lie in the Avon Gorge which is an area further west crossed by the A801, the main route south from Falkirk (Lathallan Roundabout, east of Polmont on the A803 Falkirk – Linlithgow Road) and the road runs up and down the valley sides, crossing the Avon on a small stone bridge. There is nowhere to park down there and there is no footpath. There is a proposal to span the Gorge proper by new bridge off the Bowhouse Roundabout.

The Avon aqueduct lies in Muiravonside Country Park, accessed off the B825, which  comes off the A803 at the Bridge Inn, Linlithgow Road. Linlithgow Bridge lies on the A803 just east of the B825 road junction  The B825 also runs under the Avon railway viaduct (visible from the A803) and connects with the A801 at Bowhouse Roundabout, north of the Avon Gorge proper. There is car parking in Muiravonside Country Park, and the entrance lies close to the Bowhouse Roundabout.

But it is much easier doing it bike and train, the three stations are just a few minutes walk from the towpath and it is sign-posted either end. Accept that there will be walkers on the towpath too – it was popular even before the canal re-opened - and it is common courtesy to stop and let them pass. The tunnel is over a mile long, and its wet, so it’s a walk-the-bike shot, and unless you want a few shots in there, your headlight is light enough to take you through - its dead straight so you never lose sight of light at the far portal. And there’s a handrail between the towpath and the canal, so you won’t end up in the drink. There's birds nest in there in the tunnel wall [at Polmont end] swifts I think, and there is deffo something live in the water, cos you'll hear a splash every now and again.
cybers
Gobshite Mod
Gobshite Mod

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Mods

Are you getting your bridges mixed up as living local to the area i know of the road and car park on the B825 to get onto the aqueduct i have been there many times in the past and sometimes walk my dog on this route to Linlithgow and back. The rail crossing is in Muiravon on the Bridge Road as you exit Linlithgow towards Polmont but the Viaduct crosses the Gorge. Most people wrongly assume the Gorge only starts and ends at the dip in the old A801 without realising it actually runs almost to the Forth.
IBrown
Fish supper
Fish supper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Mods

cybers wrote:
Are you getting your bridges mixed up as living local to the area i know of the road and car park on the B825 to get onto the aqueduct i have been there many times in the past and sometimes walk my dog on this route to Linlithgow and back. The rail crossing is in Muiravon on the Bridge Road as you exit Linlithgow towards Polmont but the Viaduct crosses the Gorge. Most people wrongly assume the Gorge only starts and ends at the dip in the old A801 without realising it actually runs almost to the Forth.

Hi there,

I've lived in Laurieston, Falkirk for the past 18 years. I accept the river runs in valley east of Avonbridge. But I think if you stopped in the area to ask directions to Avon Gorge, most folk would direct you onto the A801. The entrance to Muiravonside Country Park is off the B825 not far from Maddiston, at a few houses called 'The Loan'. That's where the aqueduct is. The rail viaduct is further east - just where you say it is - near the main Falkirk Linlithgow Road.  

Ian
Vinny the Mackem
Sausage supper
Sausage supper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Mods

I couldn't see a specific "Bridge to Nowhere" thread, so I thought this might be the most appropriate topic.  In any event, a couple of the east end of the bridge, from Pitt Street today, 14 January 2013.

Vinny the Mackem
Sausage supper
Sausage supper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Mods

Three from this morning (15/1/13).  Not the best quality again, I'm afraid, as they're phone camera pictures.  However, you can make out the difference in height of the new fence compared to the old, particularly in the second picture.

BTJustice
Deep fried Mars bar
Deep fried Mars bar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Mods

I can understand why they would raise the railings. I cycled over the bridges that run over the M8 at tradeston and even when I got off my bike I felt very uneasy at how low the barriers were;

november cycle 16 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

And another bridge from the same day;

november cycle 12 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

And some bridges from other travels;

Naughty Moony by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

Busby viaduct by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

City cycle 27/12/12 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

night 5 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

Post new topic   Reply to topic    urbanglasgow.co.uk Forum Index -> Other Photography All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 1 of 37

Jump to: